Jungmun School

Here is the last school I worked at in South Korea.  While I resided in Korea, I lived in the city of Busan (mainland S. Korea), Seogwipo (south-side, Jeju Island), & Jungmun, (20 minutes west of Seogwipo, Jeju Island).  I worked in Jungmun for about eight months, then left for a new adventure in Japan. 





My teaching basket that I brought to each class.  It contained everything I needed, minus the textbooks.  Dry erase markers, pens, pencils, erasers (board & pencil erasers), translation dictionary & a remote control for the heater/air conditioner (A/C) where all packed in this basket.  "Air-Con" is frequently used in Korea & Japan to refer to an A/C unit that cools as well as heats.  Perhaps this term is used in other countries as well.  




My desk was on the left with the green Nalgene bottle I brought from Colorado.  The teacher to my right was in the process of cleaning out her teaching basket. 





The teachers' office was originally downstairs, in the school.  Yet, as the school grew (I'd love to think it was from my superior teaching skills), the owners bought this mobile office to place on the roof top.  I loved going outside in between classes!  Even in this picture, you can see the ocean in the background!  They later applied a small walkway rain cover that helped keep us dry during the monsoon season.  It stretched from the stairwell door on the roof, to this outdoor office. 






The view from the top of the office building, looking north towards Mt. Halla.  




Panning east towards Seogwipo.




Southeast



South




Southwest with the next door apartment in view.




Standing in front of the office door, looking west. 




An outside break area next to the office. 




I carried this stamp with me from school to school.  If you recall from an earlier post, I asked a student if she would make me a name stamp like she did for many of her friends.  She kindly agreed & spent a lot of time doing it, so I ending up giving her some money for her time.  She was very happy with my token of appreciation. 





The kindergarten class!



They had some fun energy, but they took all of mine. 




A friendly game of English bingo.




A peace sign given by Nana.  This was the English name she chose.



The boys set up for a pretty good pose. 



Some students pretending to work. 



Much better, the boys were hard at work on a writing assignment. 



This class worked fairly hard.  An upside down "A" sign shown on the right.  Once again, I think it basically means, "Not cool."  Hmmm...




Same class on a different day. 



Peace, peace, peace!



Check out the little guy in back trying to see what's going on in the big kids' room.



The guy on the right was the only boy in the class.  I don't think he cared for that.




This was a smaller class of about five students.  I enjoyed the smaller classes. 




This too was a small class at first.  I might add that this class had a fairly high level of English for their age.




A junior high class.  I could never keep track of who was cheating off of whom.  





These guys were great fun in class!  When playing some English games, they were VERY competitive! 




The most advanced class consisted of two junior high students.  We could have full conversions, so I really enjoyed talking to them & hearing their opinions! 


Two of the students from my adult class.  All the adult students were great fun!



Halloween time!


Face painting was provided by some of the teachers.  The owner, holding the camera, took many pictures of the students.  She later sorted them & gave them to the students. 



He looked so innocent with his Dracula/devil/axeman/joker face costume.


Witches were to be expected at the Halloween party.


Everyone had fun at Halloween.


The Batman movie was popular this year.  However, the face painter told me she was making me into a panda with black spots on my face.  After she colored the second eye, & then broke out the lipstick... I wondered what exactly she was making me out to be?  Hah!  The joker!  She tricked me!





As mentioned in a previous post, tangerines are given out by the boxes.  All for free!


Another eraser puzzle!  These puzzles were fun for the students as well!

This was the last Korean private school I worked at.   


Time to go...