Seogwipo, South Korea- Near My House

Here are some pictures of parks & places around the home I lived in.  -Seogwipo, South Korea. Tangerine grove above my house. 



 Tangerine Groves, everywhere on this island. 




 
Heading back down from the groves towards my house. 



A stream, right next to my home. 


The owner of the school I worked for & his son, on the bridge above.



A game of Frisbee golf sometimes had us throwing from the stream.








Wild flowers are abundant. 

Friends catching some relaxing time at this stream side park. 

Across the street, another park with a basketball hoop.  I spent many mornings before work here.  I started work at 1pm, so my mornings were about 11-12pm.  

Some older people playing some competitive activities. 

I still don't understand this game, but it involves throwing three pieces of wood.  





This park had paths that led everywhere.  



This was a contributary body of water that slowly flowed to join the main river/stream in the pictures above. 



The park was well landscaped.



Buddhist temple watching over the park.



This bridge led out of the park, or into it... 



Above the park provides a whole different view! 



A closer look at this interesting mural.


This pathway above the park felt like an unknown secret. 


Some creative work went into this narrow path.


Matchbox cars glued to the wall.


The rainy season keeps everything green & allows these snails to take advantage of it.  Notice the shell pattern.  It was half of the Fibonacci spiral, & have plain textured.





Towards the end of the path, you can turn around from all the murals for this view.



Panned a little to the right. What you can't see from this picture is the main stream directly below the cliff I'm standing on.

Heading towards the ocean, south, these flowers can be seen in a third park.


Fun experiment...



Cheonjiyeon Falls viewed from this third park.  This park finished for the public in 2007.  Before the park was built, a view like this wasn't possible.  


As night approaches, with Mt. Halla as the backdrop.


I was always taking pictures of this falls.  My normal jogging route to the ocean took me by this viewpoint.



A winter shot.




The Oedolgae area was fun to explore.  While it was off my jogging path, this area was still very close.  It was about one minute scooter ride from my house.


Spring time brought many beautiful flowers. 



It also brought a lot of rain.


And once again, we see these fellas.  This one has a standard different shell design.



Not exactly sure what they metamorphose into, but I don't think any bird will eat this!



A neglected trail. 



The Koreans called these "Hallabong," & the Japanese call them "Dekopan."  The Koreans named them this because of the protruding top that resembles the peak of Mt. Halla.  Similar in taste to an orange, yet much more flavorful when ripe.  This cat kept a close eye on my every move. 



Famous drama in Korea.  While it may look like I'm wearing a traditional dress, it's actually one of those cut outs that you place your face in. 


One by one, workers place the stones in the wet cement.  After it's dry, many people take their shoes off & walk on the circular path.  The white ones are sharper, & hurt my feet, a lot! 



Morning dew still on this flower. 

The newer area of Oedolgae, peering towards Munseom Islet.  Just past the tree line & down to the ocean will be where the following group of pictures were taken. 

This area recently has been exposed, for all the tourists to see.  Before, there were many more trees & brush on this cliff side.


Prior, visitors couldn't see down to the caves from this area.  


Tourists weren't able to see this hidden swimming hole either.  In fact, many locals didn't even know of this area!




Previously, only from this level, at the swimming hole, could the caves built by the Japanese be witnessed. 


Trying to look serious on a chilly winter day. 


Not too cold on this day!  Getting ready to snorkel.  

The snorkeling was incredible, yet I could never snap a picture of the bigger fish!
I could only capture some pics of a few fish that didn't move as fast, like this jelly fish.




Night closing in. 

Munseom Islet from Oedogae area. 


This is now on the opposite side of the Oedogae park area. 


There it is, Oedolgae itself.  What this area is named after.  It's the 20 meter tall basalt pillar.  One legend says that the Korean military dressed this rock up to look like an enormous soldier to scare the Mongolians forces away.  Apparently it worked. 



Beomseom Islet 


Munseom Islet from the opposite side (western side) of Oedolgae park.


I loved this tree on the left.  It's perched on the edge of a cliff, & weathers all the storms & typhoons. 

Oedolgae wasn't on my jogging path.  So, getting back to my old running path, we can see a new bridge being built.  It will be a pedestrian only bridge that links Jeju Island to Saesom Islet.  Behind Saesom Islet is Munseom Islet.


Squid boat with the new bridge in the background.


I couldn't decide which bridge photo I liked better...


Jogging back from the squid boats. 


The end of my jogging path, the base of Cheonjiyeon Falls. 



Some festivals are held in this falls/harbor area.  In this photo, this young lady is showing me how to grind something.


 
Almost everyday, the sunsets were beautiful.  If only I could capture its beauty.


A fun cafe to visit in the harbor, day or night. 



They even have a teepee!  A teepee in Korea?


In the winters, they'd get the fire place started in the teepee.  


Cheonjiyeon Falls is lit up until about 9 pm.


Sometimes all the squid boats make the ocean look like another city.


My favorite place to eat spicy galbi, or marinated meat. It wasn't in this Cheonjiyeon area, but it was a few minute walk from my house. 


About a five minute drive from my house, a nice wave outside a restaurant called Mokambos. 

Inside the restaurant, but especially utside the restaurant, a relaxing time can be had.


A traditional rock wall near my house.


A five minute walk, placed me in the hub (roundabout) of this small city of 50,000 people.



This was what the roundabout looked like during winter.  With the name of the city written in English.


I rarely did "noraebang" or karaoke, but many foreigners loved it.  The jackets & wigs were provided by the noraebang establishment.