Seowipo- School

Here are pictures from my school I worked at in Seogwipo, South Korea.





View from the teachers' office in summer. 


This is the team of teachers I worked with for my year long stay.  The gentleman on the right is one of the owners of the school.  


The teacher I replaced, Seth, poses with a handful of the students.  He is a good friend, but when he left, he was greatly missed on the island.  Now, we're both living in Japan!


The eraser Seth cut up, & gifted me. 


Teachers' room with my desk on the right.


We used the computers a lot to aid with our teachings. 


The youngest class, at this moment, questioning if I really needed to take a picture. 


While the others appear to be working, these girls preferred chatting. 


Waiting for class to start.  They were singing while captured in this video still.  



This group loved to have their picture taken.



This group could care less that I snapped a photo.



Bunny ears, cute. 


Here is one class before the lesson began.  


Here's the same class, a different day, after the lesson began. 


A more advanced class.


This group was even more advanced.  I could usually understand the point they were trying to make. 



"Teacher look, my new cell phone!"


I reply, "That's great, can I see it?"


I add, "Hah, hah!!!  No cell phones in class.  Thank you, now it's my cell phone."  At least one boy in the back thought it was funny.  Of course I returned it after class...  





A higher level class.


Same class, giving me the "Not Cool" sign.  I think... 


My junior high school students were very studious & did quite well.


Hanbok, the traditional Korean dress.  Of course, a complimentary peace sign. 


No peace sign here, but she struck her own stylish pose.


I don't remember why she was carrying the rose around, but she was really happy with it. 


Even at this age, cell phones are common in Korea. 


Peace lives...


These two friends were happy to pose for the camera. 




When a new store opens, a large flower display is placed next to, or over the door.  If people take the flowers, apparently the business will have better luck.  So, the owner of the new establishment downstairs gave away many flowers to the students who passed by.  


A nice flower arrangement.



Wait!  How did they get this nice assortment of flowers? 


A rare moment to pose with one of my classes.


Halloween!!!


The bunny ears found their way to Halloween.


More bunnies!  The face painting was done by the receptionist at the school.


I love the student's mustache on the right!  I don't think he's seen it yet.  Oh, & more bunny ears, floppy ones at that.


Halloween isn't very big in Korea, but it's slowly becoming more popular.  




With that in mind, some students don't really dress up.  



Others just throw on a mask.  Is that a Jimmy Z t-shirt?  Maybe not exactly, but I love the 'Z'!  


For those who didn't have a costume, face painting was available. 


Even face painting for the teachers.


Despite the lack of costumes, they still had a good time at the Halloween party!


All the students received some candy, so their energy level was higher than normal.


Maybe this class was coming down from their sugar rush. 


Yes, that's me in the white painter jump suit.  At first I dressed up as a serious mountain biker, but that's not really a Halloween costume for Korea.  They're more about the goblins, witches, pirates & bunny costumes right now.  So, I went home to change into this white jumper outfit.  Not sure why I picked this out, but it went well when I had a mask on!  


Some students became creative with my hand.  There's a sun, a butterfly, a tree & I can't recall the rest.


See, my white jumper went great with a mask!


They made this great Christmas display for the winter holiday season!


Alas, I finished the pig eraser puzzle.  Looks like it's time for me to move on...